Monday, March 9, 2015

Light and Shadows, Fort Defiance

Light and Shadows, Fort Defiance / 10x10

On one of my final days in Fort Defiance, I return to the spot where I painted "Snow in the Shadows." The nights have been cold, cold, cold, and I imagine that the patches of snow I painted will still be there, frozen and crusty on the shaded hillside. 

But the warm days, and the rising arc of the sun has found those hidden, shady spots, and nearly all that snow is gone. But there's another scene in the opposite direction, this rock wall and small bluffs, shaded and bright in the early morning sun, and I have a great time painting it. 

It has been a challenge, during my time on the reservation, to paint the strength and muscle and power of these rock formations. Large canvas or small, it seems not to matter. I read somewhere that one artist said he tries to paint the forces that shaped these formations, rather than the formations themselves, and while I sort of understand that idea, it's hard to do in real life. Easier to do in philosophy. 

A dust-filled windstorm blows up out of nowhere on my final day in the area. In time, I find that this wind presages a series of nasty storms that begin as I drive east. The storms precede me, follow me, catch me, force me to hole up in hotels for two short stretches on my way across the country. I rue the extra days and extra expense, but I am safe and sound, and thankful. 

My painting in the landscape

I love the combination of this blue house, the green rocks and the red rocks in the background. 

A sponsor of this trip asked me to post some closer, larger pictures of the housing in the Fort Defiance area. Above, a string of townhouse-type structures. Below, a fairly typical house and yard, with multiple vehicles and multiple buildings. 


Throughout the region, there are houses with all kinds of junk and dead vehicles in the yard. This one is a bit more clutter-strewn than most. At one point, there was a horse in the middle of all this stuff.

One of the many wildly commercial enterprises on I-40, 
nestled in to one of the most beautiful rock formations in the area. 


Two hogans

On my last day in Fort Defiance, a big, swirly wind rises up, blowing dust and sand everywhere. 


***
Dog of the Day
This nutty canine gets his kicks chasing cars on a little-traveled road near Morrilton, Arkansas. 

***
Psssst..... If you've read all the way down to here, congratulations! I'll be posting the final painting giveaway tomorrow, March 10... sometime in the morning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment