Monday, March 2, 2015

Off Navajo Road

Off Navajo Road, 24x24

Down the road from Fort Defiance is Navajo, NM, a tiny town, basically a blip on both sides of the road. A blip with a gas station and grocery store, and signs urging people not to litter, and to watch for livestock. 

When I drive there the first time, I go through town and keep heading north. In a pretty short while, I end up on a flat sagebrush desert, and a road that looks like it will go on, straight and unwavering, forever. I turn around. 

The next time, I go through town and take a right down a paved road that looks promising. I come around a curve and see these thee amazing, gigantic buttes, each heading in a different direction, each with different light, different colors - breathtaking. 

I stop the car, and two horses come into view. They take a look at me, and then continue on their way. But then, as I am setting up, a thin dog walks up. She has had puppies fairly recently, and it seems that one of her nipples is infected. 

I get the food from the car, and put some on a paper towel, 15 or 20 feet from where I'm standing. She slinks in a big circle around me, watching me the entire time, and finally makes it to the food. She wolfs it, watching me, and then wags her tail a little. I feed her a second time, and then I wait. In a while, I give her a third big handful and then I know I have to stop. It will do her no good to eat to the point of throwing up. 

I feel bad for her, with her puppies and her hunger and her possibly infected nipple. Her fear makes me feel bad, too. But I like feeding her, and I enjoy her company, and talk to her pretty much the entire time I'm painting. She watches me, and though she is afraid, I can tell that she has enjoyed the food, and is enjoying being a little close to me, and lying warm in the dusty driveway.

It takes me hours to make this painting, and I love it. Love it! As I am packing up, a car pulls up and stops and a Navajo woman gets out, to talk and see what I'm doing. Mama Dog is gone when I turn around. 

The buttes. 

***
Scenes from the Area
 
Down the road from where I painted

These horses watch me as I pull up and set up my easel. 

 
They take a long look, and then they mosey along. 


This cow watches me, as well. 

Then there are these guys. 

 ***
Dog of the Day

This is the mama dog who watches me while I paint. She enjoys three
 good meals, then settles down in the sun and watches me, and maybe dozes a little. 
Even after I give her three dinners, and we spend a few hours together,
she shies away as I try to pet her.


No comments:

Post a Comment